The Roanoke Regional Chamber and Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center named F & S Building Innovations, Inc. the 2018 Small Business of the Year. The Roanoke-based Class A contractor has provided commercial and residential construction services in the Roanoke Valley and surrounding areas since 1976.
F & S Building Innovations was recognized on November 1 at the Chamber’s 32nd Annual Small Business Awards. The annual program showcases the accomplishments of the small business sector which is composed of more than 90 percent of the area’s business community.
Founded by Gary Feazell as a custom home builder, relationships and word-of-mouth referrals were key to the initial success of the company. F & S worked solely in the residential sector for more than a decade and expanded into commercial construction in the early ‘90s. F & S now maintains a large commercial division that specializes in healthcare renovations and works within the major healthcare networks in Roanoke, Lynchburg, Bedford and Montgomery County.
F & S is an expert in sunroom design and has been involved in a range of construction projects, including multi-story condominiums, 30,000-square-foot custom home builds and relocatable housing for the military.
“As in years past, the Small Business Awards selection committee was faced with a very difficult decision because of the outstanding companies represented in the competition,” said Joyce Waugh, Roanoke Regional Chamber president/CEO. “F & S is dedicated to providing exceptional customer care, and the committee was impressed by the company’s commitment to its clients and the community. F & S also received high scores for its growth in employees, innovativeness and staying power.”
Award winners by category are:
- 2018 Small Business of the Year: F & S Building Innovations, Inc.
- Small Business Advocate: Lisa Soltis, City of Roanoke Department of Economic Development
- Small Business Veteran of the Year: David Frackelton Jr., Safe Harbor Insurance
- Business-to-Business Services: Voltage Leadership Consulting
- Business-to-Consumer Services: Big Lick Boomerang
- Event & Entertainment Services: Wilderness Adventure at Eagle Landing
- Food & Beverage: Local Roots – A Farm to Table Restaurant
- Health & Wellness: AFC Urgent Care Roanoke
- Residential & Commercial Business Services: F & S Building Innovations, Inc.
- Sweets & Treats: Bayou Snowballs
- Technology: Firefli
- Wholesale/Retail: Magnets USA
- Legacy Award (in business for 50+ years): Lionberger Construction
- Not-for-Profit, Large: Freedom First
- Not-for-Profit, Medium: Feeding America Southwest Virginia
- Not-for-Profit, Small: Mill Mountain Zoo
- Not-for-Profit, Micro: Blue Ridge Literacy
- VEDP’s 2018 People’s Choice Award: Lionberger Construction