ROANOKE, VA (October 5, 2017) – Roanoke Regional Chamber and Roanoke Regional Small Business Development Center named Custom Tool & Machine, Inc. the 2017 Small Business of the Year. The Roanoke-based manufacturer specializes in precision CNC machining and serves industries including defense, aerospace, energy, robotics, transportation and medical.
Custom Tool & Machine was recognized on October 5 at the Chamber’s 31st Annual Small Business Awards. The annual program showcases the accomplishments of the small business sector which is composed of more than 90 percent of the area’s business community.
Founded in 1992 by Wayne and Sandra Myers, Custom Tool & Machine began in a two-car garage with a few manual machines and a dream. Just five years later, the company purchased a 6,000-square-foot facility in Hollins and expanded again in 2002 and 2016. Today, the production and tool shop’s customer base stretches across the United States and into Sweden. Custom Tool & Machine seeks out the latest advancements and technology in precision machining and is currently working on the most innovative products in its history, including a 3-D printer that can print human tissue.
“This year’s Small Business Awards selection committee had a very difficult decision to make as there were a number of highly successful small businesses represented in the competition,” said Joyce Waugh, Roanoke Regional Chamber president/CEO. Waugh continued, “The committee was impressed by Custom Tool & Machine’s growth, diverse customer base and the company’s unwavering commitment to providing quality products and customer service.”
A committee of local business people evaluates nominees in terms of increased sales, employee growth, staying power, innovativeness and contributions to the community. To be eligible for the award, companies must meet SBA small business standards and be at least three years old.
Award winners by category are:
- Small Business Advocate: Annette Patterson, The Advancement Foundation
- Small Business Veteran of the Year: Michael Shelton, 360 Financial Solutions
- Construction/Real Estate: Mountain Roofing
- Micro-Business (five or fewer employees): Lodging Technology
- Technology: Polymer Solutions Incorporated
- Business-to-Business Services: Volatia Language Network
- Business-to-Consumer Services: SERVPRO of Roanoke
- Manufacturing: Custom Tool & Machine
- Wholesale/Retail: SafeSide
- Legacy Award (in business for 50+ years): Wood’s Service Centers
- Best New Small Business (in business for one to three years, not eligible for overall award): St. Pierre Woodworking and Sawmill
- Not-for-Profit Arts & Culture: Southwest Virginia Ballet
- Not-for-Profit Health & Human Services: The Advancement Foundation
- People’s Choice Award: Local Seafood Delivery